New T1 Construction Impacts
The Airport Authority is committed to keeping you informed throughout the New T1 construction process and working together to mitigate any potential impacts. Our goal is to make your travel experience and daily airport access as seamless as possible throughout construction. Please contact us with any questions or concerns.
Construction Underway: Upcoming Airport Impacts
Beginning in June, construction of the New T1 will increase significantly. Travelers will notice major impacts to the current Terminal 1 arrivals and parking lot areas at SAN.
Plan ahead. Get here early. Traffic will increase so please allow more travel time before your flight.
Please note the following milestone dates listed below, which are associated with the upcoming impacts:
- June 5: Terminal 1 parking lot closed to incoming traffic.
- June 15: Terminal 1 parking lot permanently closed. Any remaining cars will be towed. A new pedestrian crosswalk will be activated to provide travelers access to ground transportation resources like shuttles, taxis and rideshare.
- July 5 – July 15: Intermittent closures, traffic shifts and relocation of all traffic vehicles arriving and departing from Terminal 1.
- All vehicles, including shuttles, buses, taxis, rideshare and private vehicles, will be detoured through temporary routes to drop off and pick up travelers. Signage and flaggers will be in place to guide vehicles and pedestrian access to the terminal during this time.
Parking at the Airport
TERMINAL 1 LOT:The Terminal 1 Parking Lot is partially closed and will close entirely to incoming traffic on June 5. The lot will be completely closed on June 15. Any remaining vehicles will be towed. The New T1 Parking Plaza is expected to open Fall 2024.
TERMINAL 2 LOT:The Terminal 2 West Parking Lot is no longer available to passengers (except those using the Cell Phone Lot). The only Terminal 2 parking is in the Terminal 2 Parking Plaza and a reservation is strongly recommended.
CELL PHONE LOT: The Cell Phone Lot is located at the Terminal 2 West Parking Lot on McCain Road. To access the arrivals curb front at Terminals 1 and 2 to meet your party, follow the signs to the exit, exit left onto Spruance Road, turn left on McCain, and then turn left at the light onto North Harbor Drive to head south back to Terminal 1 or Terminal 2.
Make A Parking Reservation
OFF-AIRPORT PARKING RESOURCES:
- Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina* – 1380 Harbor Island Dr.
- Aladdin Airport Parking – 2548 Kettner Blvd.
- Laurel Travel Center-Jazz Parking – 1025 W. Laurel St.
- Wally Park – 3298 Kettner Blvd.
- San Diego’s Park, Shuttle Fly – 3405 Pacific Hwy.
- San Diego Airport Parking Co. – 2771 Kurtz St.
- *Reservations required (Search to find on Google)
- The San Diego County Regional Airport Authority (“SDCRAA”) is providing this list of permitted parking operators as a courtesy in light of current space constraints at the airport. SDCRAA, its Board of Directors, and employees, are not responsible or liable for loss or damage of any kind incurred as the result of your use of services provided by these third-party parking operators
MAKE A RESERVATION: Reserve a Terminal 2 Parking Plaza parking space ahead of time by clicking here. Please note, reservations can not be made for Terminal 1; only for the Terminal 2 Parking Plaza.
TRY OUR VALET: Passengers may also utilize our convenient Curbside Valet at Terminal 1 or Terminal 2. Valet reservations can be accessed here.
WATCH THIS VIDEO: We made a video to help you understand parking options at the airport. View it here.
Getting to/from the Airport
There are more ways than ever to get to and from the airport with public transit, shuttles, taxis or rideshare.
PUBLIC TRANSIT: With the new Mid-Coast Trolley, the free San Diego Flyer shuttle from Old Town Transit Center, expended trolley service, and the MTS 992 and 923 bus route, there are several worry fee ways to get to and from SAN on public transit.
SAN DIEGO FLYER: If you prefer not to park at the airport, consider the new San Diego Flyer, an all-electric shuttle service between the Old Town Transit Center and SAN. The San Diego Flyer provides a convenient last-mile connection for passengers and airport employees using public transit.
LET SOMEONE ELSE DO THE DRIVING: Try one of our many affordable, airport permitted commercial transportation options. Whether taxi, black car or van, rideshare, or CBX Shuttle, all of these drivers are very familiar with airport roadways and the latest construction impacts and can get you to and from the airport safely and efficiently.
Check the “To & From” tab at san.org for all of the available ways to get to and from the Airport.
Getting Around the Airport & On-Airport Roadway Changes
RIDE THE NEW TERMINAL LOOP SHUTTLE: If you are flying out of Terminal 1 but parking in the Terminal 2 Parking Plaza, the Terminal Loop Shuttle can transport you back and forth. The shuttles operate every 10 minutes and pick-up areas are curbside at Terminal 1 and Terminal 2, directly in front of the baggage claim areas.